Friday, November 21, 2008

Winter Wind

Picture yourself outside on a hot summer day, the sun beating down on your face, as little droplets of sweat form on your brow. Just as you're thinking about how it is almost the perfect temperature out, but just a little too hot, a lovely little breeze comes wafting through, cooling your brow and you sigh with satisfaction at the perfection of the moment.

These are not the weather conditions I am currently experiencing.

No nice little cooling breezes here my friends. oh no. More like face freezing gusts of wind, that feel as though they were directly transported from the polar ice caps. North pole 1 second, hitting Katy full force in the face the next. Seriously, that saying 'don't do that or your face will freeze like that' has a whole new level of meaning for me.

It has been one the those days where you would almost concede to wearing a ski mask to keep your face from freezing, forever preserving your current contorted expression of shock, surprise, and awe at the abject cruelty of Nature. She has this amazing ability to make you feel like you are walking around naked despite the 5+ layers of clothing you have on.

But I digress. It isn't the chilly winter weather that has me wishing wearing an old school ski mask wouldn't put me on the top of every passerby's 'suspicious persons' list. It is the WIND! The temperature here (minus the wind) really isn't too bad. Add the wind {the straight from the North Pole wind} and I'm cursing: my car for not warming up faster, my building for not being closer to where I park, and myself for forgetting my gloves for the upteenth time.

I am getting to be a weather pansy in my old age. That and I have been spoiled in the last eight years of Idaho-free living. Freezing winter wind was a regular part of my childhood there. I said when I moved here I felt like I was living in farm country again (akin to my Idaho childhood) which I love. I should've known there'd be a catch.

But one thing I'm grateful to the wind for is the 10 minutues I spent thinking about ski masks today. Who actually wears those? I mean besides bank robbers and other hoodlums. Hmmmm maybe the manufacturers should rethink who is keeping them in business...

hahahahahahahaha!

Here's hoping your November is more wind-free than mine. And if not...my deepest sympathies to you. Bundle up!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Ohhhh Katy, I shiver for you and send you warm thoughts and wishes.