Thursday, November 13, 2008

Things my education has ruined for me

So while I sit waiting for my hot chocolate to cool to something less than scalding I thought I'd write about a realization I had today.

Getting educated ruins certain things. No longer is ignorance bliss, because, well... you aren't ignorant any more. I should add that I do not see this as a bad thing in any way. I rather love it so with that said here are a couple things my education has ruined for me:

1) the vast majority of love songs

Case study:

Today I heard this Michael Buble song called something like You'll Never Find...
It goes as follows:

"You'll never find, as long as you live
Someone who loves you tender like I do
(And You'll never find, no matter where you search)
(Someone who cares about you the way I do)

And no I'm not braggin' on myself, baby
Cause I'm the one who loves you
And there is no one else!"

While others might swoon at the combination of these lyrics and Michael's dreamy voice all I could think of was a paper I read at the beginning of the semester about intimate partner violence. It goes as follows:

"part of the control that a typical intimate terrorist exerts involves
convincing his partner that even if she does not like the situation, she
cannot leave—because the situation is not so bad, because she will never find
a better situation, because she will suddenly realize deep inside that she needs
him and at that point he will not take her back, because he has promised to
change, and so forth."

Are you seeing the connection?

hahahahahahaha!! Oh I probably shouldn't laugh, but I just found the connection amusing. Seriously, picture me in my room getting ready this morning with Michael crooning away in the background and all of sudden thinking ' wow this should be called 'The Domestic Violence Song.'"

I should add I didn't like this Michael Buble song to begin with and now am very happy to be validated in my distaste.

So sorry Michael if you were going for 'dreamy'---'scary-scary-run-away' was all I heard.


2) Also, most Clark Gable movies. How many times has that man shaken, slapped or otherwise roughed up his romantic interests on the screen (usually when they are in a fit of hysteria)? Way too many times. I'm happy to say that I see very little intimate partner aggression romanticised on the silver screen these days.

Well I intended this to be funny post and it turned out a bit more serious. I hope you saw the humor in the moment. Hmmm... I think my hot chocolate is just about the right temperature...

7 comments:

Marble Madness said...

I caught the humor and I quite agree!

Erika said...

You got me laughing pretty good. I also want to add another song, don't remember who it's by, but I think it's Enrique Iglesias (I know I butchered that name, my Spanish-speaking husband would be ashamed) but the chorus on that song goes "You can run, you can hide, but you can't escape my love" It always struck me as a stalker-ish sort of song, and one I would definitely not want any guy ever singing to me.

Amanda S. said...

"The Domestic Violence Song." HAHAHA. Classic.

Chelsi said...

Katy,
I found your comment on my blog today and it spurred a flood of frantic thoughts...and because I believe honesty is the best policy at least 90% of the time, I am going to 'fess up to admit that the fear you expressed in your comment via my blog, the one about me maybe not remembering exactly how we know each other, might be true. Might be, as in, I am pathetic and a horrible friend or acquaintance or whatever I am with you! :) I have known so many Kati's and have inevitably lost touch with some of them...and not that I am sure you are are not a completely unique individual, but I am afraid you have been lumped into that category...sort of like buried treasure..by which I mean I probably liked you..and probably still do like you... and it would be nice do rediscover you as I just have yet to place you.
Wow - there really is no poetic or polite way to tell someone you can't quite remember who they are...But, alas, the silver lining: this is why I love the whole blogging thing, it helps me to connect and reconnect with people who have impacted my life, and because you seem to know and remember me I know you must be one of those people. Thank you for finding me. Help me to find you, give me a hint as to when and where and how we met...
I want to guess it may have been something through an English program somewhere, as, judging from your blog entries, you are a lovely, lovely writer...? Am I close?
***P.S. I feel completely awful about this, but I think you will understand. I am pretty sure I like you, even if I can't totally remember who you are. :)

Amy said...

I've had those moments too. Like when I sat down to watch an classical movie (Life with Father) I remember seeing as a teenager. I had to turn it off within 5 minutes. I couldn't stand William Powell's character. Everyone walking on egg shells so as not to upset "Father". And it's suppose to be a comedy!

Chelsi said...

KATY CULLEN! Well, why didn't you say so? Of course I remember you! I just never would be able to pick you out on the street today. But giving me your last name gave me everything I needed. Now I just have a million questions!I am going to go back through your blog and read all of your older posts to get a clearer picture of just what you are up to, before I pound you with inquiries. I am so glad you found me and I so look forward to being back in touch!

MLE said...

I love it! "Watch out, Buble and Gable!" is all I can say! It's funny how societal perceptions shape our own (and change over time). For instance, I loved "The Princess Bride" growing up (can still quote most of the script) but when my girls first saw it, they started yelling at the princess on the screen "Don't just STAND there! Grab a branch! DO something! Geez!" LOL I never thought she was pathetic, but looking at it through their eyes- they're right!

I just worry now, what are we absorbing from society that isn't really forward thinking?