Sunday, August 31, 2008

Global fest

So this weekend some friends from my department and I went to Global Fest. It is sponsored by the city and included booths with tons of food from all over the world (I tried a Mango shake from India and it was delicious!) and some live music as well. The highlight for me was the Latin Jazz band that came--a group of white guys called Los Blancos. They were pretty much great (except maybe for their Spanish). I've included a little clip of them though it totally doesn't do them justice. Little did I know that I like Latin Jazz! Thank you Global Fest for my new found love! I went home and bought their cd on itunes and danced like a fool in my living room listening to it (something that you will not be seeing pictures of). We also listened to a bit of a panoramic steel group called PanUSA. They were good, but not as fun as the BYU group (for those of you reading this who still attend BYU the Panoramic steel group is a must see before you leave BYU).


Pictured below are some of my fellow grad students enjoying Los Blancos (Sandy in the pink, Yen B (probably misspelled that!) in the black, and Maria in the white and sunglasses--she is the one who suggested we listen to this group--thank you Maria!!)



They also had cultural booths where you could go learn more about the country. At the Chinese booth you could get your name written in Chinese calligraphy (Amy is pictured below proudly displaying her calligraphy piece)


It was a lot of fun---I'm totally going next year!


2 comments:

Cami and Juan said...

Looks like fun Katy! You have a great group of girls in your program.

lemonkiwi94 said...

Latin jazz, I need to hear this, you are definitely spreading those wings, the ones on your feet at least. Dance away girl!