Monday, June 20, 2011

The Photography Class

So my sweet husband signed me up for a photography class for my Mother's Day present. It was this past Saturday and it was great! I was impressed with how much I knew/had already figured out on my own, but it was nice to have a lot of the holes in my knowledge base filled. It was a basic digital photography class, but the instructor offers more advanced classes which I'd love to take if we were sticking around here.


SIDE NOTE: We are officially moving to Kentucky! We got two job offers: one to stay here in South Carolina and the other in Kentucky. We've officially accepted Kentucky's offer and will be moving in late July (yikes!). 


Back to the photography class.  The coolest thing I think I learned is how to take pictures with blurry backgrounds. The next two pictures aren't great pictures, but they illustrate the effect I'm talking about.

Exhibit A

{photo with sharp background}

Exhibit B

{Similar photo with blurred background}
Cool, right?

I have been wanting to take pictures like these for a long time, but could never figure out how to do it consistently despite reading up on depth of field. He showed us a pretty easy way of doing it and some tricks on how to get your camera to cooperate.

Here are a couple more examples:



And here are two of my favorites from the pictures I took during class:



Overall it was a great experience and the only thing that would have made it better would have been to take it with a friend (a lot of people had a buddy). Now I have a list of camera equipment I want to get! :) Looks like I need to figure out away for my photography hobby to start paying for itself!

3 comments:

Celeste said...

Those pictures look great, and congratulations on the job offer! :)

Kim Davis said...

You can do it! Start photographing people for free and then it will grow into paying for itself. That's how I got started. Having little babe's to photograph already will help too!

Anonymous said...

Photos look great, but more importantly: Yeah for Kentucky! I'm so glad Nathan got the job offer and that you are moving there!!!!