What do you think of the new WalMart commercials?
(haven't seen them yet? check them out here)
Personally, they drive me absolutely crazy! At first I was like "yeah yeah, whatever, WalMart commercial." But then I really started listening to them....disturbing.
The catch phrase is "Family moments cost less at Walmart." As someone who has been studying families for the last few years I'm here to state unequivocally that the "cost" of having family moments doesn't have anything to do with WalMart or the video game consoles they are selling. Family moments are "purchased" by being a consistent, loving, and involved parent. Buying a wii is not going to result in your teenage son all of a sudden wanting to spend time with the family when his friends are waiting outside honking the car horn.
Maybe this is just one more thing my education has ruined for me.
What do you think about the new WalMart commercials?
2 comments:
YIPPEE, those drive me crazy too. I can't stand them and have begun muting them anytime they come up. I completely agree with you. How about the family channel's current "Countdown to the 25 days of Christmas Countdown" Are you kidding me! Just another way of completely skipping over Thanksgiving. Thanks for the post.
Oh I LOVE those family moments commercials. But what I'd really like to see is a "family moments" commercial where they depict the family of a kid who mines coltan in Congo (from which they extract tantalum to use in wii systems). It could be really cute: they could even make a "child labor" wii game where wealthy kids in the West go through the actions of mining the resources necessary for their ridiculously over-consumptive lifestyles while trying not to get their digital hands cut off by smugglers.
Family moments don't cost less at WalMart--the costs are just given to someone else's family.
Post a Comment