Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Children's books


So I'm going to start volunteering at a local day care. Basically I'll spend an hour per week reading to the kids (ages 2-5). I'm really looking forward to it.

BUT...

Volunteers are supposed to bring in books to read. This is both exciting and intimidating. Exciting part is getting to read all kinds of children's books (I've decided to write reviews of the books I pick and read each week). Intimidating part is picking out good books. I would LOVE some suggestions for good books!

What were your favorite books growing up?

Favorite authors?

and for those of you with kids...

What are some of your kids favorite books?

8 comments:

Amanda S. said...

That sounds like fun! Sorry I don't have any recommendations for you. I'd highly recommend talking to a children's librarian, though. They would probably have tons of good books for you!

Carly said...

Hmmm where to start? Of course there are the classics: Where the Wild Things Are, The Little Engine That Could, Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel... I also love the Corderoy books, Olivia Books, the Eloisa books. Currently my favorite book to read to Raymond is The Big Red Barn. But he's a baby... so I don't know if that would work for your group. I can picture tons of book covers in my head, but don't know what they are all called. Go to the library (or book store) and browse! You'll find some great ones. Our preschool (at my work last year) had so many new books that were so much fun. I just sat myself down in front of their bookshelf one day and read book after book. So fun! I'm excited for you!

wendy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
wendy said...

Oh Katy! I love children's books so much! You are going to have a blast reading to those little tykes. The funnest part is picking out the books, though. Some of my favs:
Any Olivia book
Where the Wild Things Are
Frog and Toad
Camilla's new hairdo
Anything Dr. Seuss

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Eric Carlson is always a favorite. My personal favorite of his is The Very Hungry Caterpillar. My little brother used to request this book over and over! It is also a good book for children to follow along because of the repetition:). But yes, he has so many good books.

Also, Good Night Moon and If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.

Q said...

Hi Katy -

Here are some favorites:

Snowmen at Night (Buehner)
Llama Llama Red Pajama (Dewdney)
Sakes Alive! A Cattle Drive (Wilson)
All the Places to Love (McLachlan)
Friends (Heine)

Hope you have a great time!

Angela

Allison said...

Here are my two favorites:
-Click Clack Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin
-The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch

I hope things are going well for you!

Danielle said...

The girls loves Curious George (I think the originals are better than all of the new ones). They get a kick out of Skippyjon Jones (Judy Schachner- not sure how to pronounce the author). Skippyjon Jones books are also a lot of fun to read out loud!