The Labor Day weekend sort of snuck up on us. So while we didn't have any grand adventure planned ahead of time we really wanted to get out and see a little bit of South Carolina while we had the chance. Some friends from our new ward had told us about Congaree National Park, which is just 25 minutes or so from our place and we decided to check it out.
{Congaree National Park or has it affectionately known by the locals "The Swamp"}
We got to see a little wildlife.
{Turtles of the medium to small variety}
{One gigantic snapping turtle of the large and scary variety. He looks red, but it is just the water. He was really black and yellow (and algae covered) like the other turtles}
{A tiny but very quick little lizard}
{A hairy albino spider of some sort}
We also encountered lots and lots of mosquitoes. I guess they don't call it a swamp for nothing...
I took about a million pictures of this spider web Nathan spotted. It just isn't often that you are able to get close enough to such a cool specimen so I went a little snap happy.
{Turkey Tail Fungi--the name really suits it don't ya think?}
{A palmetto: a dwarf version of the state tree}
{all these little nubby baby tree looking things are actually part of the trees root system. They think it helps stabilize the trees and possibly aerate the soil}
{The boardwalk path we took}
And of course a few pictures of us.
{me and the twins: 6 months pregnant}

5 comments:
I forgot you live in S. Carolina! My parents just got their mission call there. So if you run into a Bro. and Sis. Lovell in the next 18 months or so, tell them hi for me!
And good luck with your twins. That frightens and excites me at the same time. :) You'll be a fantastic mom!
Looks like a fun little national park but not somewhere I'd want to camp overnight. I bet it's even nicer when there aren't mosquitoes! I'm glad you're finding interesting things to do in your new state.
Wow, I just found out you're having twins. Congrats!! That's awesome!! I have to say, I'm a little jealous. I've always wanted twins (which is why I'll probably never get them) but at the same time, I have two kids right now and I KNOW how much work a baby is, let alone two. So I realize that I'm insane to still want twins. You'll be a great mom and twin boys will be so much fun. Congrats again!!
You guys are so cute together. Can't wait to meet the new nephews! Dad's been talking about doing a family reunion soon. Hopefully that won't be too far away.
We'll be praying for you guys and your bundle.
Luv,
Wyatt, Jessica, and Alyssa
Love these Katy. So pretty. I do like South Carolina. It is quite beautiful. And I love the Nathan and Katy pictures. You look more and more like you belong to each other! :) Love to you both.
Post a Comment