Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Assertiveness Training

I am a very assertive person...

in theory.

When it comes to more practical application I find I'm a bit of a struggler.

One of my new friends here at Purdue introduced (or rather re-introduced) me to the wonderful world of public library book sales. You can get like 7 books for $5. It's great! So as we perused the tables of books I came across a title that just cracked me up, Assertiveness: 'How Can I Say What I Mean?' Of course I had to pick it up and look at it! As I was leafing through it sort of chuckling to myself when I came across this page:

and I just busted a gut (yes in the middle of the library--good thing I'm a quiet laugher) Well of course my friend is wondering what in the world is going on so I just show him the page because I can't stop laughing--and he starts laughing hysterically, choking out between fits of laughter. 'I think those are some of the very first things you ever said to me. You HAVE to get that book!'

Well needless to say, after wiping away a few tears of laughter I walked out of that book sale with my very own copy of Assertiveness: 'How Can I Say What I Mean?' So look forward to some future posting(s) about how to be more assertive.

No comments: