Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Gambit


(So I'm determined that for each old movie I watch I'm going to write up a little review. All this old movie watching should really not go to waste!)

Gambit
Made in 1966; stars Shirley Maclaine and Michael Caine

I guess you would term this a bit of a romantic comedy, with some mystery and suspense thrown in. Harold Dean (Michael Caine) concocts a plan to steal an expensive statue from the world's richest man, with a little help from Nicole Chang (Shirley Maclaine) only she doesn't really know it. What ensues is nothing short of hilarious. Maclaine's dry humor, as always, is a delight and who knew that Michael Caine was actually young and suave once! (Muppet Christmas Carol is what pops into my head when someone mentions his name). This film is a great tribute to the gap that sometimes lies between our own expectations and reality.

1 comment:

MLE said...

Very cool! Keep the reviews coming!