Sunday, March 23, 2008

Curly or straight?

So I have a theory about straight hair and curly hair. My theory is strictly based on personal experience, but here goes. Whenever I wear my hair curly I tend to get many compliments from girls. I have been stopped by complete strangers that tell me how beautiful they think my hair is (not to be conceited, but it has seriously happened). These strangers, however, are always girls, and never boys. Coincidence? I think not. Now alternately there have been several times in my life time where a young man has complimented my hair when it is straight. Occasionally a girl has complimented my straight hair, but the majority of these compliments come from young men. Soooo....here's the question: Do boys prefer straight hair to curly hair and if so why? The follow up question to this is why do girls love curly hair when it appears that boys like straight hair?

So here is my answer to these burning questions. Yes, I believe boys prefer straight hair. Maybe it is because curly hair is way too much natural woman (not in the fallen sense but more along the lines of that song written by Carol King and Gerry Goffin, immortalized by Aretha Franklin). The straight hair also coincides with cultural norms of beauty (few models sport ringlets, let's be honest). But now is the question of girls--if straight hair is the culturally preferred norm of men why do girls love curly hair? Well this is what I think. When I wear my hair curly I tend to do some sort of Anne of Green Gables/Jane Austen heroine-esque updos and such. I think this is what really gets the girls! They identify with those female heroines. Curly hair is just sort of romantic (not in the guy-girl sense, but just... I don't know how to explain it really, but romantic is the word that comes to mind).

Ok so I'm laughing at myself right now. Clearly I think too much about such things, but I think it's interesting. Apparently so do other people--just try googling the question--lots of websites pop up addressing the question! One girl even performed a sort of experiment which was pretty interesting (http://www.divinecaroline.com/article/24138/41884-curly-vs--straight--which-do) I think when I get another camera (mine just broke--bummer!) I may try something to test my theory. What do you think? Well then there is always the question of the in between curl--you know sort of the soft big curl you do with a curling iron--oh man the quandaries never end!:)

Do you think they'd let me study hair preference in grad school?

5 comments:

rachel b. said...

Oh my goodness, this should totally be the study of your focus in grad school. It could be life-changing! Just think! All the girls who never get attention from guys might only need a hair change. And they'd have you to thank for it.

Amanda S. said...

If they don't let you study this in grad school, then I think they should. And what I say matters when it comes to graduate degrees.

Carly said...

Funny funny! I know you have thought too much about this :). Just kidding. Pretty interesting though. I tend to wear my hair according to my mood and the weather. I am disappointed to read that so many less guys (I read that link too) are attracted to curly hair. I love it! (but I'm a girl, of course). I actually hate knowing stuff like this because I hate the thought of doing my hair one way or another hoping someone might be interested. I would rather simply wear it how I feel like wearing it!

rachel b. said...

Study of your focus? What an idiot. I meant FOCUS of your STUDY. Dang.

Bakes. said...

You are a genious. My hair is too short to matter either way, but I am still interested in this subject! This is definately grad school material...How do you feel about crimped hair?